With the General Election due next year the Older People’s Housing Champion’s Network has produced its manifesto on housing in an ageing society which you can find here.
This calls for
- Future proofing housing for an ageing society
- Engaging older people far more in the planning and design of new homes & neighbourhoods
- Promoting a greater choice of specialist and general housing for older people
- Truly integrating housing into the planning of health and care services
- Providing rapid access to affordable repairs and adaptations with practical help such as handyperson’s services and Home Improvement Agencies and
- Providing more independent, impartial information and advice about housing, care and finance options.
We hope that Older Peoples Action Groups across London will use our manifesto to identify their own housing issues for politicians to address. Please feel free to use any text or contact us for any help and support.
The network has also produced a Resource Sheet with key contacts, resources you might find of help and ideas for questions you might want to ask politicians and policy makers. You can find the Resource Sheet here.
I do hope too that you will promote our manifesto in your work and do please let us know what action you are taking. Please email me directly and also follow our blog.
We need to use all the opportunities we can to raise the issue of safe, warm, decent housing for all older people
Head of Programmes, Care and Repair England and Secretary of the Housing Champions Network